I wish I could take credit for this, but I can’t. This brilliant twist on the classic Bloody Mary cocktail is an adaptation of Jamie Oliver’s Spicy Bloody Mary served in his restaurant, Barbacoa. Before this recipe, I never took a liking to Bloody Mary. This version, however, has a satisfying combination of acidity and savory with the deep, smoky undertones of barbeque and bacon. Jamie’s spicier version uses jalapeno-infused vodka, thick-cut bacon and some barbeque rub in lieu of celery salt. I mean, COME ON! So without further ado-
The Ultimate Bloody Mary
- 16 ounces (1/2 quart) of tomato juice
- 2 oz vodka
- 2 tbsp barbeque sauce
- pinch of paprika, celery seed and salt (or celery salt)
- squeeze of 1/4 lemon
- thick-cut cooked bacon
- In a blender or shaker, mix tomato juice, vodka sauce, paprika, celery seed, salt and lemon. Mix well.
- In a glass filled with ice, pour the mixture.
- Finish with a cut of celery and a piece of thick cut bacon. Mmm, delish!